Hair Metal Mansion

PUNKY MEADOWS at the World Famous Whisky A Go-Go in Hollywood, CA on March 10, 2017

By Jo-Jo Anthony

From the opening chords of "Rock N' Rollers" from the first ANGEL album, Punky Meadows and his band delivered a sixteen song set that was everything a fan could ask for. Performing songs from his new studio album "Fallen Angel" and a handful of ANGEL classics, Meadows rocked the Whisky in front of a very enthusiastic and devoted crowd.

Just to bring readers up to date, Punky was the lead guitarist for the seventies rock band ANGEL. The band originally hailed from Washington D.C. and they were signed to Casablanca Records in 1975 where they were label mates of Kiss. ANGEL recorded five studio albums and a live album which captured exactly why they were one of the best performing acts of the day.

After more than thirty five years since ANGEL disbanded, Meadows teamed up with guitarist Danny Farrow to compose and record his debut solo album "Fallen Angel" now available on Main Man Records. The Whisky performance was the first time since 1980 that Meadows had performed in the Los Angeles area. He and his band definitely came to play.

The set was a collection of both new and old material. The band did a great job at promoting the new album as well as giving the ANGEL fans at least one selection from every ANGEL album. Standouts were "The Price You Pay," "Loaded Gun" and the latest single and video "Straight Shooter." My personal favorite performance of the evening was the song "Leavin' Tonight" which featured a lead vocal from Farrow and some amazing guitar work from Meadows. A rockin' ballad which displayed Meadows talents as a guitarist who has the chops but also the passion in his playing. For this writer, it was the highlight of the show and it reminded me of why I became a fan of Punky and ANGEL when I was in my teens.

For the ANGEL fans in the house, Meadows performed "Feelin' Right," "Can You Feel It," "Don't Leave Me Lonely" and "Wild and Hot" while their encore was "The Tower." Lead vocalist, Chandler Mogel did a fantastic job on Meadows solo material as well as the ANGEL songs. The band was definitely compromised of seasoned musicians and there was a great vibe both on the stage and in the audience.

As a fan that was fortunate to see ANGEL more than a handful of times back in the 70's, Punky Meadows and his band did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the thirty five year wait. I highly recommend the new album "Fallen Angel" and if the band comes to your town, be there and experience a bit of Rock N' Roll history. They are definitely one Helluva band and they put on a Helluva show! 

Chandler Mogel  - Vocals, Punky Meadows - Lead Guitar, Danny Farrow Anniello - Rhythm Guitar, Keith Roth – Bass, Bobby Pantella – Drums, Charlie Calv – Keyboards, Amy Anderson – Backing Vocals and Barbara Serbes – Backing Vocals.

Setlist

Rock And Rollers

The Price You Pay

Feelin' Right

Straight Shooter

Shadow Man

Home Wrecker

Wild & Hot

Something Strange

Leavin Tonight

Don't Leave Me Lonely

Loaded Gun