Hair Metal Mansion

M3 Rock Festival 2016 - Columbia, Maryland - Hair Metal Mansion Coverage

Hair Metal Mansion correspondent JOE SCHAEFFER checks in with the following:

Now in its eighth year, M3 Rock Festival has grown into the must see show on the East Coast. The Merriweather Pavilion was still under major construction with upgrade to the building at the time of the event. It didn’t seem to hamper the huge crowd that was there for the two day event. Only one stage was needed as they used a revolving stage that kept things running like a clock.     

If there was one complaint it came from the VIP guests who missed some of the perks they were used too. Other than that I think the entire two days went well and the rain even held off until early Saturday evening when it started to drizzle a bit. 

~Michael Sweet~

~86 Bullets~

~Gabbie Rae~

~Chip Z'Nuff of Enuff Z'Nuff~

~Tommy Paris of Britny Fox~

The first day started off with an acoustic show for the VIP guests by Stryper’s Michael Sweet who was also the show’s emcee. 86 Bullets and Gabbie Rae played first. The latter was in fantastic form with her powerful vocals. Britny Fox and Enuff Z’Nuff performed their crowd favorites as well.

~George Lynch of Lynch Mob~

~Vince Neil~

~Kix~

Lynch Mob put on one of the best performances of the entire weekend. Vince Neil played a set comprised of Motley Crue songs. Baltimore’s Finest Kix closed out the evening with their usual high energy show. 

~Rick Ruhl of Every Mother's Nightmare~

~Faster Pussycat~

Fourteen bands were on tap for Day Two. It was kicked off in fine fashion with Mansion favorites Every Mothers Nightmare. Faster Pussycat followed all clad in pajamas, seeing as how they had an 11:30 am time slot.

~Mark Evans of Heavens Edge~

~Mili Matijevic of Steelheart~

~Steven Adler of Adler~

Heaven’s Edge and Steelheart were both crowd favorites. Miljenko Matijevic sang a good portion of ‘We All Die Young’ to end their set. Adler performed next and was joined by two guests. Faster Pussycat’s Ace Von Johnson during ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ and later in the set Gabbie Rae joined them for the G’n’R classic ‘Sweet Child of Mine’.

~Stephen Pearcy~

~Y&T~

~Bill Leverty of Firehouse~

~Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot~

Stephen Pearcy and his Ratt Bastards played all the RATT hits. Y&T came out riding the rotating stage and ripped into ‘Open Fire’. Firehouse was another crowd favorite and had them all singing along. Quiet Riot performed a blistering set of QR classics.

~Mark Slaughter of Slaughter~

~Night Ranger~

Slaughter was next out and dedicated ‘Fly to the Angels’ to Prince who had passed away the prior week. The last four bands played slightly longer sets and none of them disappointed. Night Ranger gave the crowd a mesmerizing version of ‘Sister Christian’ that had all in attendance singing.

~Tom Keifer~

~Michael "Whip" Wilton of Queensryche~

~Tesla~

At the close of Tom Keifer’s set the band performed a little snippet of ‘Purple Rain’ complete with a guitar solo by Tony Higbee. My favorite highlight of Queensryche was hearing lead singer Todd La Torre nail the 1983 classic ‘Queen of the Reich’. Tesla closed out the Festival to a capacity crowd that had been there most of the day and stayed throughout their entire set. 

According to the organizers there will be two stages again in 2017. Most people I chatted with missed it this year. They love the idea of getting out of their seats for a stroll and being able to get closer to the action with the second stage.

I totally enjoyed my time at the Rock Fest this year. I was able to meet quite a lot of friends and make new ones as well. It was a pleasure to once again represent Hair Metal Mansion at M3 and will surely be back again in 2017.

~Joe w/ Steven Adler~

~Joe w/ Kyle Kruger of Hair I Go Again/Bullet In The Chamber~

Friday, April 29th

Kix

Vince Neil
Lynch Mob

Enuff Z’nuff
Britny Fox
Gabbie Rae
86 Bullets

Michael Sweet (VIP Only)

Saturday, April 30th